Realizing the importance of Environmental Information, the Government of India, in December 1982, established an Environmental Information System (ENVIS) as a plan programme.
ENVIS is a decentralized system with a network of distributed subject oriented Centres ensuring integration of national efforts in environmental information collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned. Presently the ENVIS network consists of Focal Point at the Ministry of Environment & Forests and ENVIS Centres setup in different organizations/establishments in the country in selected areas of environment. These Centres have been set up in the areas of pollution control, toxic chemicals, central and offshore ecology, environmentally sound and appropriate technology, bio- degradation of wastes and environment management, etc. ENVIS focal point ensures integration of national efforts in environmental information, collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned.
Objectives Of ENVIS Hub:
1. Long-term Objectives:
– to build up a repository and dissemination centre in Environmental Science and Engineering;
– to gear up the modern technologies of acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information of environmental nature; and
– to support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
2. Short-term Objectives:
– to provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information;
– to build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users;
– to promote national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of environment related information;
– to promote, support and assist education and personnel training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilization capabilities;
– to promote exchange of information amongst developing countries
Responsibilities of ENVIS Hub:
– building up of a good collection of books, reports and journals in the particulars subject area of environment;
– establishment of linkages with all information sources in the particular subject area of environment;
– responding to user’s queries;
– establishment of a data bank on some selected parameters relating to subject area;
– coordination with the Focal Point for supplying relevant, adequate and timely information to the users;
– helping the Focal Point in gradually up an inventory of information material available at the Centre; identification of information gaps in the specified subject areas and action to fill these gaps;
– bringing out newsletters/publications in their subject area for wide dissemination.
Mizoram ENVIS Hub
Following the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Environmental Information Capacity Enhancement Programme, Ministry of Environment & Forest and Government of Mizoram on 28th August 2002, ENVIS Node Mizoram was set up at Mizoram Pollution Control Board’s Office on June 2003. The Node was assigned the task of collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information on status of environment and its related issues.
On June 2004, MoEF upgraded ENVIS Node Mizoram into ENVIS Centre assigning the same subject area on State of environment and its related issues.
“State of Environment and its related issues in Mizoram”
The Hub has been located at the 1st Floor of Mizoram Pollution Control Board’s Office, Mizoram New Capital Complex (MINECO), Khatla, Khatla Thlanmual Pêng, Aizawl, Mizoram.
ENVIS Co-ordinator & Scientist ‘B’ of Mizoram Pollution Control Board is over all incharge of Mizoram ENVIS Hub. There are four (4) project staffs working under the Hub to look after the needs of collection, compilation, database development, updating of information on the database and in websites, etc.
Visited 179 times, 1 Visit today