This section of our website contains useful information about us. Learn about our caring staff, how to find us and see photos of our facility.
We invite you to view this short video highlighting why families have trusted Saskatoon Funeral Home with their loved one’s arrangements for over 100 years. (Featuring Pat Katz speaking on her experience with Saskatoon Funeral Home helping plan her father’s funeral).
For over 100 years, the Saskatoon Funeral Home has responded to the needs of Saskatoon people of every faith and every walk of life. The late William A. Edwards founded the business in 1910, the start of a proud history as Saskatoon’s longest serving locally-owned, family-operated, full service funeral and cremation provider to trace its roots to the beginning days of our city.
Over 100 Years of Service
Honouring the Past, Celebrating the Present, Embracing the Future.
William A. Edwards, was born in Ontario in 1886. He apprenticed in the profession under his father and at 20 years of age came west working his way to the coast and back to Saskatoon, where he established the business of W.A. Edwards Funeral Director in 1910 at 114 – 2nd Ave. South (currently the National Bank). William soon moved the business to a large house at 412 – 22nd St. East (now Saskatoon Square).
In 1913 Edwards introduced the first motor vehicle in the province for Ambulance Service and then the first motorized funeral coach in Saskatoon. In 1915 William sent for his sweetheart and wife-to-be Henrietta McGill. The family grew with the birth of son Arnold (1916) and daughter Alma (1921). William subsequently brought his parents and sister to Saskatoon.
In 1917 the firm was relocated to 384 – 2nd Ave. South with the purchase and renovation of the Empress Theater. In 1929, following a brief time of convalescence in Florida for son Arnold’s rheumatic fever, William incorporated the business as Saskatoon Funeral Home Co. Ltd. In 1966 the business moved to its current location at 4th Ave. & 25th Street.
Arnold became President in 1960 and the founder’s grandson Bill serves as the current president and his wife Eleanor coordinates the firm’s Continuing Care Program. Their son Morgan Edwards joined the family business in 2006 and represents the fourth generation in the family business as manager, funeral director, and embalmer. Bill’s siblings Brenda and David serve on the Board.
At over 100 years Saskatoon’s locally owned full service funeral home joins an elite group of multi generational businesses that have also passed the century milestone.
Many firsts have been established by this industry leader. In 1970 the province’s first crematorium was established, Prairie View Crematorium. Westwood Funeral Chapel joined the Edwards group in 1988 and remains the only funeral home west of 2nd Ave. The Edwards Family Centre, an award winning ‘first of its kind facility’, was opened in 1995. In 1998 the Tribute Planning Centre opened next to Woodlawn Cemetery.
For the Edwards, business and community are intertwined resulting in a long a proud history of contributing to the social, economic and spiritual betterment of city.
Family members and staff have been active and taken leadership roles in innumerable organizations, charities and service groups. Evelyn G. Edwards was a prominent city councilor and provincial MLA. A SABEX Hall of Famer the company has also received the SABEX and ABEX Community Involvement Awards, the NSBA New Direction Award, the 2010 Canadian Association of Family Enterprise Family Business Awards and the annual winner of the Consumer Choice Award for Business Excellence since the award’s inception in Saskatoon.
Visited 23 times, 1 Visit today